Dallas — Trade Show Executive’s Darlene Gudea and longtime show organizers Charlie McCurdy and Megan Tanel topped the distinguished team of honorees for the 2017 individual awards presented by the International Association of Exhibitions and Events (IAEE).
The recipients will be recognized officially at the annual awards luncheon at IAEE’s Expo! Expo! in San Antonio on Nov. 30.
Gudea was named the recipient of IAEE’s Lifetime Achievement Award. As TSE’s former editor and publisher, she oversaw the magazine’s expansion since 2002. During her tenure she expanded the bi-monthly publication to 12 issues per year; launched five directories including the World’s Top Convention Centers and the popular Who’s Who series; launched a website and E-clips Breaking News; added an event division to launch the Gold 100 Awards & Summit; and formed a strategic partnership with Simmons Market Research Bureau and Mark Rothman & Associates to conduct custom research projects for convention bureaus, convention centers and private equity firms.
“Darlene has devoted herself to advancing our industry both domestically and abroad for more than two decades,” said Awards Committee Chairperson Patricia Farias Barlow. “Her dedication and professionalism serve as shining examples to the future generations of our industry.”
McCurdy was named recipient of the Pinnacle Award. He joined the industry 25 years ago and rapidly rose to the leadership of some of the top show organizers in the U.S. McCurdy is also a past chairman of the Society of Independent Show Organizers and is based in London as Chief Executive, Global Exhibitions Division, Informa Exhibitions.
Tanel, Senior Vice President, Association of Equipment Manufacturers, is a past chair of IAEE and this year’s recipient of the Distinguished Service Award. Tanel oversees CONEXPO-CON/AGG, the massive construction-equipment triennial show that routinely tops 2 million net square feet of exhibit space.
The 2017 awards recipients also include:
- Merit Award: Elizabeth George, Customer & Audience Solutions, Informa Exhibitions and Sue McCart, President, HFI Event Services
- Bob Dallmeyer Educator of the Year Award: Bruce Lemmon, Owner, GEM Global Events Management LLC
- The Volunteer of the Year Award: B. Murphy, National Sales Manager, Fern
- Outstanding Achievement in Industry Leadership Award: Patricia Dwyer, former Senior Manager, Event Services, SmithBucklin
- Outstanding Achievement in Marketing & Sales Award: David Saef, Executive Vice President of Strategy & MarketWorks, GES
- Young Professional of the Year Award: Bill McGlade, Director of Account Management, a2z, Inc.
- Rookie of the Year: Chris Bonifati, Attendee Services Coordinator, American Pet Products Association
Reach Patricia Farias Barlow at email@example.com