Carlsbad, CA – Change seems to be coming more quickly in the exhibitions industry, and not just in terms of technology. The Trade Show Executive (TSE) Awards & Summit once again presents a stellar lineup of industry leaders who will probe today’s unique issues as they come to the forefront.
The Gold 100 annually salutes the largest and best-run trade shows of the previous year while also producing a full day of discussions on the current state of the industry and predictions on where things are headed in the coming years.
“This is an exciting time for trade show organizers, and the Gold 100 is a forum for the executives who are opening up this new era,” said Darlene Gudea, President of Trade Show Executive Media Group. “This year’s Gold 100 Summit will shine the spotlight on the ways our industry is evolving.”
The Gold 100 Awards & Summit takes place September 21-23 at the Park Hyatt Aviara Resort in Carlsbad, CA, a quick drive up the coast from San Diego International Airport. Aviara continues TSE’s tradition of providing leading show organizers with a relaxing locale for networking and education as the year enters the home stretch. Registration information can be found at www.tradeshowexecutive.com.
The Gold 100 Summit portion of the program is an opportunity to compare notes and look to the future with fellow show organizers, industry partners and outside experts.
“The future is now, and the topics that will be up for discussion at the Gold 100 Summit will provide some exciting insights and ideas as we look to 2017 and beyond,” said TSE Vice President of Events Diane Bjorklund.
Keynote. Leah Hunter is a corporate consultant whose forward-looking expertise has earned her the nickname, “Future Hunter.” In her keynote address, Hunter will explore the process of connecting with other people’s ideas and finding patterns and roadmaps among the stacks of data collected on the show floor and registration page. Her appearance at the Gold 100 coincides with the release of her new book, “Future Hunter.”
Integrating Acquisitions. Mergers and acquisitions are a fact of life among independent trade show organizers. A blue-ribbon panel discusses the intricacies of blending the operations, finances and corporate cultures of companies that may have been fierce competitors in previous years. Joe Loggia, former longtime head of Advanstar Communications, moderates the panel. The participants also include: Kerry Gumas, President & CEO of Questex; Tony Calanca, Executive Vice President, Exhibitions for UBM Americas; and Emerald Expositions CFO Phil Evans.
Power Lunch. The Gold 100 Power Lunch provides attendees with food for thought to go along with the fabulous menu. This year’s guest for the onstage live interview is Chris Nemchek, Senior Vice President — Business Development and Member Relations for the Specialty Food Association. Chris has been a key leader in the steady expansion of the Summer and Winter Fancy Food Shows. He will share his experiences and answer questions posed by moderator Phil McKay, Founder, President & CEO of nGage Events LLC, and from members of the audience.
Housing Update. The Internet continues to push and pull the hotel industry, and this panel includes Jon Liebtag, Business Development Lead for the very disruptive Airbnb. Liebtag projects the role that his company and other non-traditional booking services will have on trade show room blocks and housing prices. Karen Gebhart, Vice President of Development for Helicopter Association International, will moderate the panel. Joining the discussion are Michael Guerriero, Division President of Experient, a Maritz Global Events Company, and Michael Howe, Executive Vice President of onPeak/GES.
Audio-Visual Extravaganza. Some amazing experiences are being created at trade shows and other public events by the wizards of audio-visual. Jim Kelly, Vice President of PRG, provides an update on the technologies that have opened up a new era of creativity in attendee experiences, from the Grammy Awards to the Super Bowl half time.
International Trends. Around the world in a matter of minutes: Kai Hattendorf, Managing Director/CEO for UFI, The Global Association of the Exhibition Industry, provides an update on the international trade show market. Kai comes to the Gold 100 from Paris armed with a newly released set of research on how the industry is faring in different regions. He will also have some new insights on Europe’s Brexit controversy as well as other issues impacting trade shows around the world.
Security. The world is on edge as crowded public places tempt evildoers around the world. Is your show a potential soft target? Garry McCarthy, former Superintendent of the Chicago Police Department, heads up a discussion on protecting convention centers and trade shows from the full gamut of threats. McCarthy, now a private consultant, is an exclusive partner with United Service Companies.
Look Who’s Coming (a partial list)
• Michael Alic, Managing Director, Fashion Group. UBM
• Kim Althoff, Director of Trade Shows & Meetings, ISSA – The Worldwide Cleaning Industry Association
• Lisha Baer, Operations Manager, National Association of Music Merchants
• John Barrett, Executive Director, ISSA – The Worldwide Cleaning Industry Association
• Sarah Bopp, Manager, Booth Sales & Operations, American Pet Products Association
• Howard Britt, President/CEO, Premiere Show Group
• Shannon Burch, VP, Events & Business Development, ASIS International
• Tony Calanca, Executive VP, UBM Americas
• Camille Candella, VP Marketing, Emerald Expositions
• Thomas Carbott, Senior VP, MHI
• Kimberly Carcone, Senior Director, Market Events, Toy Industry Association, Inc.
• John Catalano, Senior Director, Society of Manufacturing Engineers
• Daniela Ciocan, Director of Marketing, Cosmoprof North America
• Darel Cook, Director, Expositions & Meetings, Promotional Products Association International
• Erin Cucinotta, Operations Manager, National Association of Music Merchants
• Andrew Darmohraj, Executive VP & COO, American Pet Products Association
• Chris Dolnack, Senior VP & CMO, National Shooting Sports Foundation
• Phil Evans, CFO, Emerald Expositions
• Randy Field, Group VP, Reed Exhibitions
• Jeff Filo, Institute of Food Technologists
• Kelly Fox, Senior VP, Institute of Food Technologists
• Julie Freedman, Operations Director, Emerald Expositions
• Karen Gebhart, VP Business Development, Helicopter Association International
• Marty Glynn, CEO, MAD Event Management
• Mike Grant, Senior VP, Operations, Reed Exhibitions
• Cathy Griffith, Operations Director, Emerald Expositions
• Kerry Gumas, President & CEO, Questex LLC
• Nicole Hallada, VP Marketing & Communications, Association of Equipment Manufacturers
• Kai Hattendorf, Managing Director, UFI, The Global Association of the Exhibition Industry
• Eric Horn, Show Director, Cosmoprof North America
• Lori Jenks, Senior VP – Operations, Emerald Expositions
• Philip M. Kafarakis, President, Specialty Food Association
• Marie Knight, Vice President, AmericasMart Atlanta
• Margie Lelvis, Marketing Director, Emerald Expositions
• Sam Lippman, President & Founder, Lippman Connects
• Karen Malone, VP, Meeting Services, Healthcare Information & Management Systems Society
• Philip McKay, Founder, President & CEO, nGage Events, LLC
• Robert McLean, Vice President, Promotional Products Association International
• Denise Medved, VP Sales & Business Development, Consumer Technology Association
• JoAnn Miller Marshall, Executive VP, AmericasMart Atlanta
• Stephen Miner, President/CEO, Solar Energy Trade Shows, LLC
• Nath Morris, VP Expo, US Poultry & Egg Association
• Cherif Moujabber, President, Creative Expos & Conferences
• Dan Moylan, Director of Trade Show Sales, National Association of Music Merchants
• Chris Nemchek, Senior VP, Business Development & Member Relations Officer, Specialty Food Association
• Marisa Nicholson, Vice President, Emerald Expositions
• Steve Pitt, Senior VP, National Automobile Dealers Association
• Jim Pittas, Senior VP, PMMI: The Association for Packaging & Processing Technologies
• Vinnie Polito, Principal, mdg
• Jeff Pressman, President & CEO, ConvExx
• Elli Riley, Senior Director, Exhibits & Meeting Services, Healthcare Information & Management Systems Society
• Stephanie Salesnick, President, International Trade Information, Inc.
• Cindy Sample, Director of Operations, National Association of Music Merchants
• Larry Schur, President, All Baby & Child Corp.
• Warren Sellers, President, Sellers Expositions
• Stephen Sind, President & CEO, Global Event Strategies
• Julia Smith, 2016 Chairperson, International Association of Exhibitions & Events
• Karalynn Sprouse, Executive VP, Emerald Expositions
• Gary Thuro, VP Marketing & Sales, Solar Energy Trade Shows, LLC
• Sandy Voss, President of Exhibitions, Penton
• Nancy Walsh, President, North America, Reed Exhibitions
The TSE Gold 100 Summit promises to be a highly productive afternoon that will help keep attendees on the visionary edge of the trade show industry in 2017.
Reach Darlene Gudea at (760) 889-8585 or email@example.com; Diane Bjorklund at (630) 312-8915 or firstname.lastname@example.org