Oceanside, CA – The luminaries of the trade show industry are making plans to head West this Fall to celebrate another year of moving forward at Trade Show Executive’s Gold 100 Awards & Summit.
The sixth edition of the annual Gold 100 takes place on the scenic Southern California coast and will feature a virtual Who’s Who of the exhibition industry. The growing guest list includes the organizers of the largest and most-influential trade shows of 2012 plus top-tier industry speakers, leaders of the key companies that support the exhibition industry and the guests of honor. [See a partial list of registrants.]
The event is set for a September 18-20 rendezvous at the 5-Star St. Regis Monarch Beach Resort in Dana Point, where relaxed elegance and million-dollar views combine with timely educational discussions and networking among executive level colleagues.
“There will be many familiar faces at the St. Regis as well as some of the rising stars in the trade show industry who do not attend other industry events,” said Darlene Gudea, president of Trade Show Executive Media Group. “The combination of great speakers, great food, great views and great people will make this year’s Gold 100 a golden opportunity for networking and sharing the most innovative ideas.”
On the Cutting Edge
The agenda of speakers and panel discussions will bring attendees together with innovative industry colleagues and outside experts whose views on the 21st Century business world are certain to inspire business plans for 2014.
“We are looking forward to one of the most dynamic Gold 100s ever,” said Diane Bjorklund, TSE vice president of events. “The registration list is filling up with well-known names whose input to the discussions will have an influence on the entire industry.”
Top Speakers Point the Way to the Future
Jeremy Gutsche, the acclaimed guru of trend spotting, will open the Gold 100 Summit with his trade show-focused keynote on “The Culture of Innovation – How Show Organizers Can Create a Culture of Customer Obsession and Innovation.”
Gutsche is an MBA, author and founder of TrendHunter.com, which has 2.5 million Facebook fans. He has been dubbed in the financial media as a “new breed of trend spotter” an “intellectual can of Red Bull.”
Wolfgang Marzin, president and chief executive officer of Messe Frankfurt, will be Bob Dallmeyer’s guest at a live version of his monthly Power Lunch interview with industry leaders and legends. Marzin runs one of the top three trade show organizations in the world, with 109 exhibitions drawing 78,500 exhibitors and 3.5 million visitors. The global giant further strengthened its worldwide leadership position in 2012, generating record sales of €536.9 million (about US$708.5 million). It’s been 26 years since Messe Frankfurt launched its first off-premises event, and now that number has grown to 68, generating 31% of the company’s sales revenues. In this fascinating live version of Bob Dallmeyer’s monthly Power Lunch column, Wolfgang will explain why being first to market is critical, and will share his key strategies for 2013 on everything from key target markets, how he will strengthen Messe Frankfurt’s product range and portfolio of shows, describe new internal processes and control measures, and talk about key sustainability endeavors.
How did some of the Gold 100 shows in impacted industries fight back when the overall economy was struggling? Nancy Walsh, executive vice president of Reed Exhibitions, will outline the novel strategies used throughout Reed’s diversified portfolio that not only avoided disaster but spurred the events on to greater heights. Mary Pat Heftman, executive vice president of the National Restaurant Association, will provide insights on steering the NRA Restaurant, Hotel-Motel Show through a period of consumer pullback.
A rare and timely look at trade shows through the influential eyes of private equity will give independent show owners some valuable insights on the investment firms that continue to play a key role in the industry. The session examines PE’s inner workings and strategic thinking with some of its most experienced and active players.
Innovation marches on. Join some of the honorees from the TSE Readers’ Choice Awards for a look at the innovations and best practices that earned them the highest ratings by their colleagues by TSE readers in this Summer’s voting.
Out and About
The Gold 100 Awards & Summit eases into the schedule with an inviting schedule of networking and relaxation.
It would not be a Gold 100 without golf, and TSE and the Atlantic City Convention and Visitors Authority will not disappoint. The Monarch Beach Golf Links beckon with spectacular ocean views offsetting a challenging design by the famed Robert Trent Jones, Jr. Chance of rain or anything less than optimal conditions? Hardly!
Those who don’t golf will venture into the destination beach town of Laguna Beach and the Laguna Beach Networking Experience. The highlight is a plunge into the world of do-it-yourself haute cuisine at the Montage Resort, sponsored by OnPeak. Participants will get a crash course on the finer points of ravioli, and the art of making sushi at home.
Golfers and chefs can compare notes and renew acquaintances that evening at the welcome reception sponsored by the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority.
The Big Event
The food experience really picks up on the final evening. The Gold 100 Awards gala opens with a memorable banquet followed by the presentations of the Gold 100 Grand Awards honoring the largest shows of 2012 and the events and individuals who made their mark in marketing prowess and operational innovation.
Registration information and the online form are found at www.tradeshowexecutive.com along with additional details on the venue and agenda.
Room Block Closes in One Week
The room block closes August 22 so show managers and top-level executives of show organizers are urged to act quickly and guarantee their presence at this can’t-miss event for the exhibition industry.
Look Who’s Coming to the Gold 100 Awards & Summit
Advanstar Communications Inc.:
• Joe Loggia, President & CEO
• Chris DeMoulin, Executive VP Customer Development & President, Licensing
• Anthony Calanca, Executive VP Exhibitions
• Tracy Harris, Senior VP, Power Sports Group
All Baby & Child Corporation:
• Larry Schur, President
American Wind Energy Association:
• Stefanie Brown, Senior Director, Conferences
• Jo Ann Miller Marshall, Executive VP, Trade Shows
• Michael Turnbull, Senior VP, Strategic Relations
Clarion Events North America Inc.:
• David Audrain, President & CEO
Consumer Electronics Association:
• Gary Shapiro, President & CEO
• Jeff Pressman, President
• Karalynn Sprouse, Senior VP, Merchandise
• Liz Crawford, Show Director/Senior Marketing Director
• Margie Lelvis, Marketing Director, Interbike
Exhibition Services & Contractors Association:
• Larry Arnaudet, Executive Director
• Carol Fojtik, Senior VP
Healthcare Information & Management Systems Society:
• Karen Malone, VP Meetings
• Elli Riley, Director Exhibits & Meeting
Helicopter Association International:
• Karen Gebhart, VP of Business Development
International Association of Exhibitions and Events:
• David DuBois, President & CEO
International Association of Venue Managers, Inc.:
• Sarah Rogers, Director of Development
• Jason McGraw, Senior Vice President of Exhibitions
ISSA – The Worldwide Cleaning Industry Association:
• Kim Althoff, Director of Conventions & Meetings
• Rochelle Burt, Vice President
• Scott Chon, CEO & Senior Advisor for the Gwangyang Bay Area Free Economic Zone, South Jeolla Province, South Korea
Messe Frankfurt Inc.:
• Wolfgang Marzin, CEO
• Dennis Smith, VP, Sales
NAMM, the National Association of Music Merchants:
• Cindy Sample, Director of Trade Show Operations
• Dan Moylan, Director of Trade Show Sales
National Restaurant Association:
• Mary Pat Heftman, Executive VP, Convention & Strategic Alliances
National Shooting Sports Foundation:
• Chris Dolnack, Senior VP & CMO
National Trade Productions:
• Robert Harar, Chairman & CEO
• Andrew Ortale, Executive Vice President
• Stacey Price, Vice President of Sales & Event Services
• Chris Harar, Director of Marketing
• Ryan Brown, Director of Sales & Event Services
nGage Events, LLC:
• Phil McKay, President & CEO
Offshore Technology Conference:
• Craig W. Moritz, Assistant Director of Sales & Exhibits
• Sandy Voss, President of Exhibitions
Premiere Show Group:
• Howard Britt, President/CEO
Promotional Products Association International:
• Robert McLean, Executive VP
• Darel Cook, Director
• Alan Sims, VP/Executive Director, Events
Riddle & Associates:
• John Riddle, President
• Nancy P. Walsh, Executive VP
• Ken McAvoy, Senior VP, Operations
• Warren Sellers, President
Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA):
• Peter MacGillivray, VP Communications & Events
• Tom Gattuso, Trade Show Director
• Jamie Eriksen, Special Events Director
Specialty Food Association:
• Chris Nemchek, Senior VP, Membership & Exhibitions
Toy Industry Association, Inc.:
• Marian Bossard, VP Meetings & Events
UBM Business Technology Events:
• Marco Pardi, President Business Tech Events
• Natalia Wodecki, Senior Director of Communications
U.S. Poultry & Egg Association:
• John Starkey, President