Dana Point, CA – More than150 key executives will get a mountaintop view of the trade show industry when they assemble at the St. Regis Monarch Beach Resort in Southern California for the Trade Show Executive (TSE) Gold 100 Awards & Summit, October 22-24. A panel of CEOs from private show organizers and associations will highlight the summit portion of the event. Also on tap: the Straight Talk/Burning Issues session and its straightforward discussion of key challenges we face and possible solutions. The Gold Summit will also feature case studies, novel ideas, dealing with the media and thinking like a startup.
The Gold 100 annually honors the show organizers who run the 100 largest trade shows in the U.S., and staking a ranking on this list is a premier achievement. These highly successful flagship shows include the likes of International CES, CONEXPO-CON/AGG and MAGIC Marketplace as well as Surfaces, HIMSS, The National Restaurant Show, International Vision Expo and the American Society of Orthopaedic Surgeons. The highlight of the Gold 100 takes place on the evening of the 23rd as the largest and most innovative shows are honored with crystal trophies at the Gold 100 Grand Awards Dinner.
The big day begins bright and early with the summit portion of the event which will include fast-paced discussions with plenty of opportunities for input from the audience. Keynote speaker Josh Linkner is a venture capitalist and author of the best-selling book, Disciplined Dreaming. Linkner will ask his early morning audience to look at the contrasts between companies on the rise and those that are beginning to sag under their own weight and corporate inertia. In the end, it may be the upstarts and underdogs that hold the key to survival and success.
Afterwards, a CEO Roundtable will feature some of the nation’s top CEOs from for-profit companies and associations who will cover a lot of ground including how they manage risks, identify and retain talent, deliver consistent growth and have some fun in the process. What do these entrepreneurial achievers do differently to generate new ideas for their organizations and individual shows? How will they capitalize on favorable demographic trends that lead to new customers?
The mid-day Power Lunch interview features Joe Lamond, president of the National Association of Music Merchants, who will be interviewed by Darrell Denny, senior vice president of Emerald Expositions, who will also take questions and comments from the audience. Lamond will share his insights on the steady and robust growth of The NAMM Show and its sister show, The Summer NAMM. Lamond has been at the helm of NAMM since 2001 and set the stage for the steady growth of the association’s trade shows. Every year, the show ranks in the top 30 of the Gold 100, and the presence of top-tier bands and musicians has turned The NAMM Show into one of Anaheim’s biggest and best annual parties and business facilitators. Guest interviewer Darrell Denny is a trade show virtuoso in his own right with a 30-year career in the trade show industry and served on the boards of directors of the Society of Independent Show Organizers (SISO) and the Center for Exhibition Industry Research (CEIR).
The popular Burning Issues session once again provides a frank discussion of the top topics in the industry from industry leaders including Lew Shomer, president & CEO of SISO; David DuBois, president & CEO of IAEE; Larry Arnaudet, executive director of ESCA; Jack Chalden, president of Chalden & Associates; and Heather Ronnow, executive VP of human resources at Global Experience Specialists (GES). On the table will be a look at labor issues, an increase in the minimum wage, hidden fees in hotel pricing, and the controversy over convention center exclusives. There will also be discussions of disaster preparedness amidst terrorist threats in these turbulent times.
The agenda also includes case studies on repositioning, rebranding and revitalizing your show. You’ll also learn techniques for engaging with the news media and how to turn things around if a reporter blindsides you. Closing keynote speaker Mark Bernheimer, principle of Media Works Resource Group, is a former CNN international correspondent, and his presentation will be an encore of his highly acclaimed session at TSE’s Fastest 50 in May.
DUFFERS AND DUFFY BOATS
Autumn may have arrived in much of the U.S., but there will still be enough Summer left in Southern California to extend everyone’s wish for another perfect afternoon. A flotilla of Duffy boats has been booked by TSE for attendees who opt for sightseeing on opening day while their colleagues hit the links at the Monarch Beach Golf Links in neighboring Dana Point.
The Monarch Beach Golf Links is one of California’s select few oceanfront golf courses. Master Architect Robert Trent Jones, Jr. has fashioned an intriguing layout in the Scottish links tradition for this par-70 championship course which sits atop one of most dramatic bluffs with sweeping views to the Pacific Ocean. The Gold 100 Golf Outing features a bevy of prizes, including a luxury car for the skilled golfer who scores a hole in one. If you choose not to bring your own clubs, golf equipment is complimentary of the golf event sponsor, the Atlantic City Convention and Visitors Authority.
For non-golfers, sponsor onPeak has a great day planned for you. Duffy boats, a long-time fixture in tony Newport Beach, will ferry Gold 100 attendees along the calm waters of the bay to a hearty lunch at The Cannery. The landmark seafood restaurant offers great views of the yachts and commercial fishing boats in the bay.
Duffy boats are cozy, electric-powered vessels piloted by experienced skippers who do the driving while guests enjoy refreshments, network and soak up the scenery of the harbor. There is plenty to see, including curious sea lions, majestic pelicans and dozens of ocean-going racing yachts and coastal cruisers. The high-end homes along the waterfront include the late great movie star John Wayne’s luxurious residence.
The day continues into the evening and the opening reception hosted by the Las Vegas Convention & Visitors Authority where golfers and mariners can share their experiences and generally catch up with one another after another busy year. Following the awards dinner is the Gold Afterglow, which enables the networking to carry on in the midst of some unique entertainment.
Registration for the TSE Gold 100 is available at www.tradeshowexecutive.com. Whether it’s on land or sea, the TSE Gold 100 has become the top destination for industry leaders looking for opportunities to network, socialize and squeeze in a few more days of Summer.
LOOK WHO REGISTERED SO FAR:
- Adam Andersen, Group Show Director, New Hope Natural Media, a division of Penton Media
- Larry Arnaudet, Executive Director, Exhibition Service Contractors Association (ESCA)
- David Audrain, President & CEO, Exposition Development Company, Inc.
- David Bertelsen, Group Show Director, Emerald Expositions
- Teresa Bryson, Account Manager, All Baby & Child Corp.
- Shannon Burch, Director of Exhibitions, ASIS International
- Christina Cade, Marketing Manager, International Baking Industry Exposition (IBIE)
- Tony Calanca, Executive Vice President of Exhibitions, Advanstar Communications, Inc.
- Thomas Carbott, Senior Vice President of Exhibitions, Material Handling Industry of America
- Kimberly Carcone, Senior Director of Trade Show & Event Marketing, Toy Industry Association, Inc.
- Paige Cardwell, President, CSG CREATIVE | NTP
- Tom Cindric, Vice President, Hanley Wood Exhibitions
- Daniela Ciocan, Director of Marketing, Cosmoprof North America
- Darel Cook, Director, Promotional Products Association International
- Liz Crawford, Vice President & Group Show Director, Emerald Expositions
- Andrew Darmohraj, Executive Vice President & COO, American Pet Products Association
- Darrell Denny, Executive Vice President, Emerald Expositions
- Mary Dolaher, CEO, IDG World Expo
- David DuBois, President & CEO, IAEE
- Pat Dwyer, Senior Manager, Convention & Trade Show Services, SmithBucklin
- Nora Ellingwood, Vice President of Operations, Advanstar
- Sharon Enright, Vice President of the Trade Show Division, Business Journals, Inc.
- Philip Evans, CFO, Emerald Expositions
- Randy Field, Vice President of the Customer Success Group, Reed Exhibitions
- Julie Freedman, Senior Operations Manager, Emerald Expositions
- Leslie Gallin, President, Footwear, Advanstar Global
- Tom Gattuso, Trade Shows Director, Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA)
- Karen Gebhart, Vice President of Business Development, Helicopter Association International
- Michele Germann, Marketing Director, Emerald Expositions
- Mike Grant, Senior Vice President of Operations, Reed Exhibitions
- Cathy Griffith, Operations Director, Emerald Expositions
- Kenji Haroutunian, Vice President & Group Show Director, Emerald Expositions
- Mary Pat Heftman, Executive Vice President, Convention & Strategic Alliances, National Restaurant Association
- Eric Z. Horn, Show Director, Cosmoprof North America
- Pat Hus, Vice President & Group Show Director, Emerald Expositions
- Lori Jenks, Senior Vice President of Operations, Emerald Expositions
- Britton Jones, President & CEO, Business Journals, Inc.
- Alan Josse, Industry Sales Director, Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA)
- Chris Kersting, President & CEO, Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA)
- John Kilroy, Vice President/General Manager, Performance Racing Industry
- Madeline Kruzel, Vice President/General Manager, IDG World Expo
- Joe Lamond, President & CEO, National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM)
- Sam Lippman, President, Lippman Connects
- David Loechner, CEO, Emerald Expositions
- Joe Loggia, President & CEO, Advanstar Communications, Inc.
- Laurie Lutz, Vice President of Operations, Consumer Electronics Association
- Robbi Lycett, Senior Vice President of Conventions, Biotechnology Industry Organization
- Peter MacGilivray, Vice President, Events & Communications, Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA)
- Karen Malone, Vice President of Meetings, HIMSS
- Robert McLean, Executive Vice President, Promotional Products Association International
- Susan McSorley, Director of Meetings & Conventions, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- William Miller, Senior Vice President, Operations, Specialty Equipment Market Lorri Monty, Shows Operations Manager, Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA)
- Sara Truesdale Mooney, Senior Director, Exhibitions & Strategy, Association of Equipment Manufacturers
- Dan Moylan, Director of Trade Show Sales, National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM)
- Andrea Nielson, Operations Manager, Emerald Expositions
- Kristen Novick, Operations Manager, Emerald Expositions
- Laura Ouimet, Operations Manager, Emerald Expositions
- Alicia Parsons, Operations Director, Emerald Expositions
- Stephen Pitt, Vice President of Conventions & Expos, National Automobile Dealers Association
- John Riddle, President & CEO of Riddle & Associates
- Elli Riley, Director, Exhibitions & Meetings, HIMSS
- Kim Roehricht, Assistant Executive Director & Operations Director, AWFS Fair
- Michael Turnbull, Senior Vice President of Strategic Relations, AMC, Inc.
- Cindy Sample, Director of Trade Show Operations, National Association of Music Merchants (NAMM)
- Larry Schur, President, All Baby & Child Corp.
- Steve Sind, President, Focus Media Group
- Dennis Slater, President, Association of Equipment Manufacturers
- Tim Sousamian, CEO, Piston Driven Manufacturing , with Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA)
- Karalynn Sprouse, Executive Vice President, Emerald Expositions
- Monica Terlouw, Industry Sales Director, Specialty Equipment Market Association (SEMA)
- Roy Turner, Senior Vice President, Emerald Expositions
- Sandy Voss, President of Exhibitions, Penton
- Nancy Walsh, President, Reed Exhibitions, The Americas
- Pat Whitaker, Exhibits Manager, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons